Read about the artist in The Archives
Saint Mark’s Square in Venice with the Doge’s Palace and Saint Mark’s Basilica, 1842
Watercolour. Inscription in red ink. 297/296 x 407/411 mm
Inventory number: D787
After finishing his training, the German architecture and landscape artist, Carl Werner, went to Italy and Rome, where he converted to Catholicism. In 1851, he established a school of watercolour painting in Venice. This drawing, however, was probably done much earlier. Werner knew Thorvaldsen, who had several of his works in his collections.